Purposeful Career Niche
How to Find your Career Niche where you’ll excel and be fulfilled
“Psychologists who study happiness repeatedly discover a puzzling paradox: the happiest people are those who pay little attention to the goal of becoming happy… What does matter is engaging in something that you find absorbing, challenging, and compelling. ” ~William Damon
Ready to discover your unique contribution and love your career?
Where you may be:
- Unsure of the next step and where to put your energy
- Nagging feeling that what you’re doing isn’t what you want
- Nervous and excited about making a change
- Want to be more confident
- Want to be valued for what you bring
- Want to make a smart move and not just a jump
- Want a life of fulfillment and financial freedom
- Want more time for you in your life
Where we’ll get you:
- Clarity on what you uniquely offer and what sets you apart
- Clarity on your career niche
- Courage and confidence to take the steps forward
- More fulfilled as you take action in alignment with your purpose
- More focus and motivation
This program explores individual strengths, interests, and values, building awareness and resilience around a person’s purposeful career niche, through individual and collaborative inquiry. From this personal information, an individual will define their purpose, to guide them confidently, passionately, and successfully in taking the next step in their career.
Research on strengths shows that focusing attention on strengths is beneficial within the educational and work setting. In the organizational context, Harter, Schmidt, & Hayes (2002) found that using strengths leads to greater levels of work engagement). Participants will:
- Understand and differentiate between their realized, unrealized and learned strengths
- Identify their unique profile of strengths
Interests and Values
Biswas-Diener et al. (2011), Kashdan & McKnight (2009) and McKnight & Kashdan (2009) highlight how interests and values interact with strengths to affect how strengths are manifested. To understand how strengths are likely to be best used and lead to individual performance, strengths need to be paired with interests and values.
Interests and values inform authentic motivation, becoming a driving force that creates action in pursuit of goals. People whose motivation is authentic have more confidence, greater performance, persistence, creativity (Deci & Ryan, 1991; Sheldon, Ryan, Rawsthorne, & Ilardi, 1997), self-esteem (Deci & Ryan, 1995), and well-being (Ryan, Deci, & Grolnick, 1995). Participants will:
- Identify key values and the personal meaning of these values
- Identify driving interests
In their research on the distinction between job – career – calling, Wrzesniewski et al. (1997) find that people who see their work as a calling (focus on enjoyment of fulfilling, socially useful work) report significantly greater life and work satisfaction.
There will be ongoing guidance to connect and map the strengths, interests and values that the individuals uncover. They will be guided to recognize themes in these personal data points and connect them to identify a guiding purpose. Students will:
- Identify and understand the connection between strengths, values, and interests
- Identify a guiding purposeful career niche
Setting individuals on their course towards a calling will make them in the short-term more effective and engaged employees and colleagues, and in the long-term more fulfilled and complete individuals.
This 8-week program* includes work in session and between sessions. The program includes:
- Unlimited access via email (allow up to 1 business day for a response)
- 60-minute Kick Off Session to get you clear on your goals and a review your discovery packet
- Homework: Reading assignments or personalized exercises and questions to deepen the learning and further the process between sessions
- Review, feedback and insight from your coach on your homework
- Discovery Packet: to be completed prior to the Kick Off Session
- Weekly 45-minute sessions via phone, Zoom, or Google Hangout
*The option to condense or extend the program into a shorter or longer time period is available at the same investment.